skip to content

WorkCover Internet > About us > Quick answers

Quick answers

Skip Navigation LinksWorkCover Internet > About us > Quick answers

What should I do if my employer can't provide suitable work? 

As the worker, you should contact the insurer and tell them your employer cannot offer suitable work. A weekly benefit will be paid to you while you are actively seeking work or engaged in return to work activity.

The insurer should tell you what you are expected to do during this period and this will be documented in an injury management plan.
You must:

  • take reasonable steps to find suitable work with some other employer and if you find suitable work you must accept it or your workers compensation benefits will be stopped
  • be willing to accept work that is within your abilities and circumstances, or
  • undertake rehabilitation and/or retraining needed to improve your chances of getting suitable work.