skip to content

WorkCover Internet > About us > Quick answers

Quick answers for workers 

Can I claim workers compensation for injuries suffered whilst travelling to/from work?


Workers compensation benefits are available for injuries suffered in the course of journeys where there is a substantial connection between the person’s employment and the incident out of which the injury arose.


You can lodge a claim with your employer's insurer in the usual way and they will decide if compensation is payable.

Further information is available under journey and work break claims.




Changes to workers compensation


Recent changes to workers compensation involve transitioning injured workers’ claims to a new benefits system, which includes changes to weekly payment calculations, entitlements to lump sum payments, and time limits for claiming medical and related expenses.

Note: some groups are exempt from the changes to workers compensation.

Find a trainer or assessor


You can search for WorkCover approved training providers online for: 

See the Training and assessment area of our website for information on finding a trainer or assessor.

How are existing claims transitioned to the new benefits?


If you made your claim prior to 1 October 2012, it will be transitioned following a work capacity assessment and decision by your insurer in 2013. Until then, your entitlements will continue under the old benefits system.

If a decision on your work capacity may adversely affect your entitlements, you will be contacted by your case manager at least two weeks in advance to give you the opportunity to provide information about your injury or claim. You will get three months’ notice before any change to your weekly payments as a result of a work capacity assessment.

Note: Some groups are exempt from the changes to workers compensation.

Is my personal protective equipment (PPE) adequate?


Designers, manufacturers or suppliers of PPE can give advice on the specifications and appropriate use of their products.

This is important because, for example, no one type of glove provides adequate protection against all chemicals. A respirator designed to be effective against medium air levels of a chemical may not be effective against high levels of the same chemical (or low levels of another chemical).

It may also be helpful to consult relevant Australian Standards.

Licence for forklift, crane, scaffolding, boilers etc


WorkCover issues high risk work licences for:

High risk work licences are recognised in all Australian states and territories.


Training for a high risk work licence

A person performing high risk work must hold a relevant licence unless they are undergoing training.

Only Registered training organisations (RTOs) approved by WorkCover can deliver training and assessment for high risk work licences in NSW.

The training and assessment must be delivered under the supervision of an RTO but practical training can occur in the workplace.

Call 13 10 50 for more information.

Replace a card


Replace your construction induction or high risk work licence card online with payment by credit card. 

If everything is correct and validated, we will send the card to your last recorded home address in approximately three weeks. 

Alternatively, you can complete the Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card form and send it to WorkCover by:

  • post to Operations, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252
  • fax (02) 9287 5497 (credit card payments only) 
  • email to (credit card payments only).

The replacement fees are listed in the WorkCover NSW fees schedule.

Note:  If your details have changed or if your card was not received or contains a printing error, you cannot apply online. You will need to complete the Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card form and provide your new / correct details.   

What do work capacity assessments involve?


Work capacity assessments involve a review by the insurer of your medical, functional and vocational status, and help to inform decisions about your capacity to return to work in suitable employment and your entitlement to weekly payments.

They consider all available information, including your self report and injury management plan, information from the employer, reports from treating providers and independent medical reports.

Note: some groups are exempt from the changes to workers compensation.

What should I do if my employer can't provide suitable work?


As the worker, you should contact the insurer and tell them your employer cannot offer suitable work. A weekly benefit will be paid to you while you are actively seeking work or engaged in return to work activity.

The insurer should tell you what you are expected to do during this period and this will be documented in an injury management plan.
You must:

  • take reasonable steps to find suitable work with some other employer and if you find suitable work you must accept it or your workers compensation benefits will be stopped
  • be willing to accept work that is within your abilities and circumstances, or
  • undertake rehabilitation and/or retraining needed to improve your chances of getting suitable work.

Who is exempt from the changes to workers compensation?


Those exempt from the recent changes to workers compensation are police officers, paramedics, firefighters, coal miners and workers who make dust diseases claims.

However, these workers need to submit the new certificate of capacity, which has replaced the old medical certificate, when making a claim (as do all other injured workers).