You need a high risk work licence if you want to operate a forklift in NSW.
There are two classes of forklift licences. They are for:
- a forklift truck equipped with a mast and an elevating load carriage with a pair of fork arms or other attachment (class LF)
- an order picking forklift truck where the operator's control elevates with the load carriage/lifting media (class LO).
You are eligible to obtain a licence if you:
- are at least 18 years of age
- complete a recognised training course with a registered training organisation (RTO) and have been assessed as competent by an assessor working for the RTO
- can use English at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk work
The RTO will have the application forms you need for a new card after you have completed your training and assessment. You will then take those forms to your nearest Australia Post office as well as 100 points of ID.
You will also need to bring with you a passport sized and quality photo of yourself with your name and date of birth printed on the back.
The application fee is outlined in our list of fees and charges.
Replace a forklift licence
Renew a forklift licence
We will mail a renewal form to you two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post office. If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact your nearest WorkCover office or call 13 10 50.
Safe Work Australia has guidance material on: