skip to content

WorkCover Internet > Licensing > Licences and certificates > Construction induction card

Construction induction card 

The construction induction card provides proof of completion of general construction induction training.

It is required for workers who carry out 'construction work'. This includes:

  • site managers, supervisors, surveyors, labourers and trades persons  
  • people who access operational construction zones unaccompanied or not directly supervised by an inducted person, and
  • workers whose employment causes them to routinely enter operational construction zones.

The card ceases to be current if you have not carried out construction work for any consecutive period of two years or more.

Obtaining a construction induction card

To attend training you will need to contact a Registered Training Organisation and provide evidence of your identity to the value of 100 points. Commonly used evidence of identity documents include:

  • an Australian birth certificate and an Australia drivers licence, or
  • an Australian drivers licence, Medicare card, ATM card and a utilities bill.

The RTO will have the approved application forms for a new card and will submit them to WorkCover when you have satisfactorily completed your training. A statement of training will be issued as evidence for 60 days, until you receive your new card from WorkCover. 

The course fee is set independently by the RTO.


Replacing a construction induction card

A construction induction card can be replaced online with payment by credit card. You will need to ensure you enter the exact details as on your construction induction card record.

Alternatively, you can complete the Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card form and send it to WorkCover by:
  • post to Operations, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252, or 
  • fax (02) 9287 5497 (credit card payments only) or
  • email to (credit card payments only).

The replacement fees are listed in the WorkCover NSW fees schedule.

Note:  If your details have changed or if your card was not received or contains a printing error, you cannot apply online. You will need to complete the Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card  form and provide your new / correct details.   


Change of details 

If you have changed your name or other details you will need to complete the Change of details form and send it to WorkCover by: 

Interstate cards

In addition to the WorkCover NSW construction induction card, construction workers can work in NSW using valid construction induction cards issued by all states and territories under the National Code of Practice for Induction for Construction Work as well as the following induction cards issued under previous arrangements:

  • 'blue cards' issued in Queensland
  • 'red cards' issued in Victoria
  • Western Australian 'blue' cards.

OHS construction induction training cards issued between 1 September 2009 and 31 December 2011 or a former OHS induction training certificates issued between 29 March 2004 and 31 August 2009, will be recognised as a general construction induction card. 

Recognition of general construction induction training cards: Fact sheet provides more information.  

Call 13 10 50 for more information about construction induction training.

Quick answers