skip to content

WorkCover Internet > Licensing > Licences and certificates > Forklift licences

Forklift licences 

Before you can apply for a national licence to perform high risk work to operate the types of forklifts listed below, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) must assess your training, skills and knowledge using the relevant 'assessment instrument’ under realistic workplace conditions.

Forklift truck (LF)

Covers the operation of a powered industrial truck equipped with a mast and an elevating load carriage to which is attached a pair of forkarms or other attachment.

Order-picking forklift truck (LO)

Covers the operation of a powered industrial truck of a type where the operator’s control arrangement is incorporated with the load carriage/lifting media, and elevates with it.

New licences

To get a forklift licence you need to be trained and assessed by a Registered training organisations (RTOs) approved by WorkCover. After you have been assessed, you can apply for a High risk work licence.

Replacing a licence

Your forklift licence can be replaced online or you can post an Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card form to WorkCover.

Renew a licence

We will mail a renewal form to you, two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post Office. If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact your nearest WorkCover office or call 13 10 50.

Further information

Full details on the application requirements for a forklift licence is on the High risk work licence page or call 13 10 50.


Forklifts hitting pedestrians video safety alert



View an accessible version of this video.


A complete video transcript is available on request.