skip to content

WorkCover Internet > Licensing > Licences and certificates > Dogging, rigging and scaffolding licences

Dogging, rigging and scaffolding licences 

Before you can apply for a national licence to perform high risk work to undertake any dogging, rigging or scaffolding work listed below, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) must assess your training, skills and knowledge using the relevant 'assessment instrument’ under realistic workplace conditions .

Dogging (DG)

Consists of the application of slinging techniques to move a load (including the selection and inspection of lifting gear) and/or the directing of a crane/hoist operator in the movement of a load when the load is out of the view of the crane/hoist operator.



Rigging work means the use of mechanical load shifting equipment and associated gear to move, place or secure a load using plant, equipment or members of a building or structure, to ensure the stability of those members and for the setting up and dismantling of cranes and hoists.


Basic rigging (RB)

Consists of dogging and rigging work involving:

  • movement of plant and equipment
  • steel erection
  • hoists (including mast climbing hoists)
  • placement of pre-cast concrete
  • safety nets and static lines
  • perimeter safety screens and shutters
  • cantilevered crane-loading platforms.

Intermediate rigging (RI)

Consists of all basic rigging work including rigging work involving:

  • cranes, conveyors, dredges and excavators
  • tilt slabs
  • hoists with jibs and self-climbing hoists
  • demolition
  • dual lifts.

Advanced rigging (RA)

Advanced rigging – consists of all intermediate rigging work including rigging work involving:

  • gin poles and shear legs
  • flying foxes and cableways
  • guyed derricks and structures
  • suspended and fabricated hung scaffolds.


Scaffolding work means the erection, alteration or dismantling of a temporary structure erected to support platforms from which a person or object could fall more than four metres.

Basic scaffolding (SB)

Consists of scaffolding work connected with the operation or use of:

  • modular or pre-fabricated scaffolds
  • cantilevered materials hoists with a maximum working load of 500 kg
  • ropes and gin wheels
  • safety nets and static lines, and
  • bracket scaffolds (tank and formwork).

Intermediate scaffolding (SI)

Consists of all basic scaffolding work including scaffolding work connected with the use and operation of:

  • cantilevered crane-loading platforms
  • cantilevered and spurred scaffolds
  • barrow ramps and sloping platforms
  • perimeter safety screens and shutters
  • mast climbers
  • tube and coupler scaffolds (including tube and coupler covered ways and gantries).

Advanced scaffolding (SA)

Consists of all intermediate scaffolding work including all other scaffolding work connected with the use and operation of:

  • hung scaffolds, including scaffolds hanging from tubes, wire ropes or chains
  • suspended scaffolds.

Note: advanced certificates cover the requirements for the intermediate certificates; intermediate certificates cover the requirements for the basic certificates.

New licences

To get a dogging, rigging or scaffolding licence you need to be trained and assessed by a Registered training organisations (RTOs) approved by WorkCover. After you have been assessed, you can apply for a High risk work licence.

Replacing a licence

Your dogging, rigging or scaffolding licence can be replaced online or you can post an Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card form to WorkCover.

Renew a licence

We will mail a renewal form to you, two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post Office. If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact your nearest WorkCover office or call 13 10 50.

Further information

Full details on the application requirements for a dogging, rigging or scaffolding licence is on the High risk work licence page or call 13 10 50