skip to content

WorkCover Internet > Licensing > Licences and certificates > High risk work licences

High risk work licences 


WorkCover issues national licences to perform high risk work (high risk work licences) for:

High risk work licences are recognised in all Australian states and territories.

A person performing high risk work must hold a relevant licence unless they are undergoing training. Only Registered training organisations (RTOs) approved by WorkCover can deliver training and assessment for high risk work licences in NSW. The training and assessment must be delivered under the supervision of an RTO but practical training can occur in the workplace.


Eligibility for a high risk work licence

You are eligible to obtain a licence if you:

  • are at least 18 years of age
  • undertake a recognised course of training
  • can use English at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk work
  • have the necessary knowledge and ability to safely perform the high risk work
  • have been assessed as competent by an assessor working for the RTO using the relevant assessment instrument under realistic workplace conditions
  • apply to WorkCover for a high risk work licence.

The assessor will issue a Notice of satisfactory assessment and give you an application form.


Applying for a high risk work licence

You can apply for a high risk work licence by taking the following documents to an Australia Post Bank@Post outlet within 60 days of your assessment:

  • the blue Application for a national licence to perform high risk work (HRW Licence): New application (N4) form (provided by your RTO or assessor)
  • the blue copy of your Notice of satisfactory assessment (provided by the assessor)
  • evidence of identity documents (originals only) showing your name, photo, date of birth, signature and current address to the value of 100 points
  • a passport size and quality photograph of yourself with your name and date of birth printed on the back
  • the applicable fee as listed in the WorkCover NSW fees schedule.

Commonly used evidence of identity documents include:

  • an Australian birth certificate and an Australia drivers licence, or
  • an Australian drivers licence, Medicare card, ATM card and a utilities bill.

Your high risk work licence is valid for five years from the date of issue.

Replacing a high risk work licence 

A high risk work licence can be replaced online with payment by credit card. You will need to ensure you enter the exact details as on your licence record.

Alternatively, you can complete the Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card form and send it to WorkCover by:

  • post to Operations, Locked Bag 2906, Lisarow NSW 2252 or 
  • fax (02) 9287 5497 (credit card payments only) or
  • email to (credit card payments only).

The replacement fees are listed in the WorkCover NSW fees schedule.

Note:  If your details have changed or if your card was not received or contains a printing error, you cannot apply online. You will need to complete the Application to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction card form and provide your new / correct details.

Renew a licence

We will mail a renewal form to you, two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post Office. If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact your nearest WorkCover office or call 13 10 50.



Quick answers